Sunday, May 17, 2009

Old Churches of Laguna

I joined my mom at our parish's summer pilgrimage.

Our Lady of the Pillar Church
Alaminos, Laguna


In the year 40, the Virgin Mary appeared to St. James the Great on Ebro River in Zaragoza atop a Pillar which is until present preserved within the Basilica of Nuestra SeƱora del Pilar de Zaragoza. This is the title to which this church, one of the oldest in the country 1575 is dedicated to. The church in Alaminos has been renovated and the interior is modern. I think the facade has also been rehashed. I didn't like the classical curve of the windows on top of gothic spires. It's tacky and the stained glass windows is not impressive at all.

San Pablo Cathedral
San Pablo City, Laguna


The diocese of San Pablo was created in 1967 and this church had the privelege of being elevated into a cathedral. The church is huge. This was the only church we visited that had the latin cross interior with a crossing and a dome on top. The church interior has sparse decoration and no retablo. The crucifix at the altar is exquisite though. What I really liked about this church are the stations of the cross outside. Fantastic high-relief sculptures!

Church of Saint Sebastian the Apostle
Nagcarlan, Laguna


A pilgrimage church because of the cults to Saint Sebastian and San Diego de Alcala who are reported to have miraculous healing powers. Nearby is the famous Nagcarlan Underground Crypt. The mexican tiles of this church is superb, coupled with the beautiful retablos and pews. This is my second favorite Lagunda church.

Church of Saint John the Baptist
Liliw, Laguna


Masterfully renovated. They have kept with the original look of Philippine churches. I love the brick facade. But the caretakers are rude, they turned off the lights on us. I mean, if were a little noisy, they could have asked us to pipe down but instead, they turned the light on us!

Church of Saint Gregory the Great
Majayjay, Laguna


My favorite! Beautiful beautiful brick walls, beautiful retablos, beautiful mexican tiles, and I loved the high-relief scultpures decroating the wall. The church is also HUGE! The buttresses remind me of Paoay church in Ilocos Norte.

Church of Mary Magdalene
Magdalena, Laguna


Beautiful town. Nice setting on top of a hill. They were kind enough to let us celebrate mass at their beautiful church. I loved the simple Altar Mayor with the original retablo.

Saint Anthony de Padua Church
Pila, Laguna


The interior is renovated but is tastefully done. The retablos are beautiful but this was I think the smallest of the churches we visited.

I was saddened that every visit had to be very quick because we had a lot of places to go too. I was not able to photograph all I want. I think for a lot of the ladies, they only spent time to go to the toilet at every stop. Hahaha!

see more photos < here >

No comments: