Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Weeks Two & Three

The numerous onboard training finally ended this week. The training sessions are a good way to meet my co-crew members. Everybody is very happy to know everybody else. "We're all in this together" as the High School Musical theme said. Well of course we have that policy the I like very much called "10 Feet Smile Policy," all companies should enact this even if they're not in the service sector. Smiling to not only your guests but to your co-employees just brings up the mood and good vibe that everybody needs every working day.

I'm really learning a lot on how to run a good business from Royal Carribean. At this stage, I'm still very objective and not heavily indoctrinated and I can say that this company is running it's business in a very good way. Filipino companies and the Philippine Government could really learn a lot on how to run things back home from this company. And in that light, I don't understand how so many Filipino are working in this company and not brining back home the things that they have learned and applying them to make a difference it our rotten practices.

Simple things make a difference. Reward based positive reinforcement. Strict enforcement of just policies and rules. A kind, just, firm but approachable captain. Few traits the Philippines can learn from.

This second week, we welcomed our new manager, Miss Zelna du Plessis from South Africa. She's absolutely gorgeous! She'd be an artista if she were in the Philippines. I like her approach to things. She's very driven and motivated to reach the goals, or more properly our (the whole team's) goals. In the one week that I spent with Miss Lorna MacLeod (UK) though, I learned that Steiner managers are all superlative managers. I will miss Lorna too, that one week was akward but fun! Especially our party for Maria and Aisha who's birthdays fell in the same week.

I loved the grilled pork they made for that party. My God! The marinate was so tasty that I took some back to my cabin and ate it cold in the morning (oops, haha we're not supposed to bring back food to the cabins XD ssshhh). I'm really having trouble controlling myself over the food here. Imagine to be in a buffet everyday. I mean, I really have to give myself kudos for not having seconds ever since I came onboard. But man, oh man, is my plate always filled haha! I rarely touch carbs - well pasta that is. I've never tried rice - yet. And I hope I don't ever. But I'm always having dessert! Whaaa! Every other day almost sometimes everyday there's cheesecake! And they're decent ones too! Hahaha! I really don't know if I'm going to be ecstatic or depressed. O gotta tell you, they make this oh my super awesome roast pork. Hahaha! And some really good burgers that we see on fridays (burger day!) - thanks Lizzie for the tip. Now I wait for fridays just as Lizzie does hahaha! I hope I don't get too much plump. Well I really can't because I won't fit my clothes ^_^.

I'm very much hoping things will pick up for me. It's still all very slow and I want to thank Miss Jeanette for sending that email of reassurance to us. She said not to expect too much in the first weeks, and that's what's just happening to me really. I don't know the border of being out and about and talking to people to looking desperate and pulling people in. I don't want to appear that way, it might throw people off instead of pull them in.

I realize one important thing this week two and three though, one thing that I've always thought but now is super reinforced in me. I was living the life of a prince of sorts ;-) and now I'm a pauper.

1 comment:

Princess said...

prince and pauper... hmmm sounds familiar. remember the first time living away from home, like when you just got an apartment? you became thankful for every little detail that made your life comfortable but you didn't pay attention to back home. it's hard getting old. reality bites evry now and then. but as you've said to me, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. i learned to believe that too. and how it feels so good to be stronger. haha. congratulations on your realization. kayang- kaya mo yan. God bless you.